ECS HEAD START & EARLY HEAD START
ECS Head Start and Early Head Start are comprehensive child development programs serving children from birth to age 5, pregnant women, and their families. These child-focused programs utilize research-based, developmentally appropriate curriculum and have the overall goal of increasing Kindergarten readiness for young children from low-income families. ECS provides services to over 2,000 children and their families each year. Click here to see a list of ECS Head Start centers.
Head Start has a long tradition of delivering high quality services designed to foster healthy development in low-income children and their families. Program benefits include a range of individualized services in the areas of education and early childhood development; medical, dental, and mental health; nutrition; family social services; and family engagement, including training and workshops for parents.
Click here to learn how to apply.
Click here to visit our ECS Nutrition Services page, learn about our Harvest of the Month program, and see our Head Start menus.
About Head Start
ECS Head Start preschool programs provide comprehensive services to children ages 3 – 5 years of age.
Head Start service options are designed to meet the needs of families, and are:
- Home-Based: comprehensive services for children from 3 to 5 years of age that includes individualized weekly home visits and two monthly group socializations for families
- Center-Based: comprehensive services for children ages 3 to 5 years of age. Hours are either full day (6 or more hours) or part day (3.5 hours). The full day option is available to families that meet full day eligibility requirements for employment and/or enrollment in a vocational/training program
About Early Head Start
Early Head Start focuses on children six weeks to three years of age, as well as pregnant and post-partum, low-income women. Comprehensive services include parenting classes, individualized plans for children and transition services for children moving onto preschool. ECS Early Head Start program options include:
- Services to Pregnant Women – comprehensive services including weekly prenatal classes for pregnant women and their families as well as individualized postpartum home visits
- Home–Based: comprehensive services for children from birth to 3 years of age including weekly family home visits and two monthly group socializations for families
- Center-Based: comprehensive services for children 18 months to 3 years of age in a center based setting, full day and five days per week. The full day option is available to families that meet the requirement for employment and/or enrollment in a vocational/training program
- Family Child Care Program: comprehensive services for children 6 months to 3 years of age in a licensed family child care home setting, full day and five days per week. Families must meet full day eligibility requirement for employment and/or enrollment in a vocational/training program
Children enrolled in the Early Head Start program receive the same compliment of comprehensive services as Head Start. Both Head Start and Early Head Start programs are governed by the same funding requirements.
Learn about ECS Head Start's Program Services.