HEAD START - PROGRAM SERVICES
Early Childhood Education
• Head Start provides a high quality developmentally appropriate education program.
• Head Start curriculum is specifically designed to help children develop language, literacy and numeracy skills and learn how to socialize and interact with others.
• Children leave Head Start prepared for kindergarten, excited about learning, confident in their abilities, and ready to succeed.
Prevention and Early Intervention Services
• Enrolled children have timely immunizations and screenings for medical, dental, nutrition and mental health.
• Children see medical professionals regularly and participate with parents and staff in experiences that promote positive mental health, improved self-esteem, stress management, and personal growth.
• All Head Start children are provided nutritious meals and snacks daily.
• Head Start ensures that all children receive physical exams as required by the American Academy of Pediatrics and children identified as needing further follow-up services receive those services.
• Ten percent of enrollments are offered to children with disabilities.
• Services for children with disabilities and their families are provided in coordination with local early intervention and education agencies, community organizations, supports services and school districts.
• Our mission is accomplished by involving parents in the total operation and administration of the program supporting the growth of children and families through encouragement, nurturing, and empowerment.
• Parents are empowered to be their child’s first teacher, achieve skills in decision-making, group process, and leadership.
• Family literacy is stressed in the classroom as children are exposed to books and printed materials, read to, and encouraged in their language development.
• Books are made available in the family’s primary language.
• Head Start parents are also encouraged to improve their own literacy skills and are provided support to further their education efforts in obtaining a GED or pursuing higher educational opportunities.
• Through a broad range of social services, Head Start assists parents in their own efforts to improve the quality of life for themselves and their children.
• Head Start provides parent education and support in the areas of health, budget management, child development and parenting.